TS2 was a huge step forward compared to The Sims, more fleshed out new life stages.
TS3 was a huge step forward compared to TS2 with the open world, CASt and CAW, but one step back when it comes to the sims interactions and family play.
TS4 should have been been a huge step forward
TS4 feels like a spin-off game, it's not a sandbox game, it's nothing like its predecessors.
What are your feelings on the direction of The Sims? What do you think leads you to feel this way?
I'm worried. For a year I was hanging on to the belief that maybe TS5, if they make one,
could be the sequel TS4 failed to be. But seeing how they are moving away from their
customers with their "vision", the silence and their age-fixation I'm not sure anymore. I'm
prepared for another SimCity 2013 spectacle.
Why do you play The Sims? What do you get out of the game that you may or may not be getting from The Sims 4, and why?
I've played a lot of different games through the years, mostly strategy and adventure games. I especially loved games like CaesarIII, Pharaoh, Zeus and the Anno games.
However, the Sims games is closest to my heart. That is because of the sims themselves I think, they feel like little "friends". My mother read Gulliver's Travels for us kids, it was fascinating? And first time I played The sims I immediately thought of that book.
I always come back to the sims, even though I occasionally play other games, and I believe
I've spent the most time playing sims than any other games together. I stopped playing TS2
when TS3 was released due to the open worlds and creativity tools. I don't find the the sims in TS3 robotic, just a little more mature. I do miss the TS2 interactions and family play and
some of the goofy things though.
Another thing I like about the sims games is the replayability, diversity, and the creativity that makes me love the sims game so much. You can play it different every time, you can build and decorate, you can make worlds. I still haven't tried everything in TS3, i haven't played genies yet. And the games does not tell you what to do... Until TS4 was released that is.
What are your hopes for the future of the series and how do you think your hopes could be realised?
I can't say I have much hope anymore.
I will share a very short version of some things I was hoping for, and wanted for TS4. It's basically a mix of TS2 and TS3.
When I heard they where working on Sims 4 I was excited and curious, what could they possible do to make TS4 a huge step forward?
- More complex sims and interactions (built upon TS2 sims interactions. but even better)
- Maybe even sims with different heights
- Even more stunning open worlds with gorgeous graphics.
- Maybe an ingame CAW tool, not too complex, but complex enough so we could change the road
- styles, or place them differently in an easy way.
- Place lots wherever we wanted, without road connections. Or, even better, build a house wherever we wanted without the need of a lot
- Pick up a house and move it to another place on the lot - or in the world
- 64 bit
- Options to inactivate things like cellphones, cars and other modern appliances. I would have preferred Appaloosa Plains, for example, as a car-free world.
- Different themes to choose from, maybe? medieval, 1950's, modern.
- And each theme could have suitable clothes, hairstyles, patterns and specific building things.
- I want things from start that I see as basic things, like weather and animals.
- Fletched out sims with hopes, fears, dreams, important memories (so I can see why my sim, that I left inactive and now play again, has a breakdown).
- I want kids to be able to do most of what the other ages can do
- Careers. I'm fine with basic/normal careers. I want Farmer career. Chickens, cows and pigs. Grow crops, make cheese and other farm products, have staff to help out. And then sell the goods in their grocery shop in town. OFB style. The whole kit.
- I want to be able to choose how to divide the households money in case they split up.
- I want open restaurants and shops.
- I want a lot of hobbies, things to do, for my sims. I want to be able to make things out of collectables and harvest. I loved TS2 seasons Juicer, the only bad was that kids couldn't use it.
Do you have any specific or personal messages for the developers that you would like to share?
No, they probably wouldn't listen anyway.